Sunday, November 15, 2009

Child Abuse and Neglect




Child Abuse and Neglect
Child abuse and neglect is defined as physical injury, emotional disturbance, sexual abuse, negligence, or maltreatment of a child under the age of 18 by a person who is responsible for the child's welfare.


Cause
Abuse is the breakdown of impulse control in the parent, guardian, or other caregiver.
there are four factors involved:
  1. Personalities features-The caregiver experienced lack of affection and support as a child and thus does not know how to provide the same for his or her child, or the caregiver is out of control due to substance abuse or psychotic illness.
  2. The difficult or different child- Examples include hyperactive, handicapped, premature, or sickly children or stepchildren.
  3. Inadequate support- The caregiver feels isolated or abandoned by relatives or friends who could provide guidance and assistance.
  4. Crisis situation- Stress overcomes the caregiver's ability to function.
Neglect is observed in families with multiple problems and disorganized lifestyles. Depression, desertion, drug or alcohol abuse, and chronic medical conditions may be seen in one or more caregivers.


Assessment

Areas
  • gross motor development and skills
  • fine motor skills, manipulation, dexterity, and bilateral coordination
  • muscle strength
  • reflex development and maturation
  • postural control (use of protective and equilibrium reactions)
  • muscle tone
  • joint stability and mobility
  • sensory registration/awareness
  • sensory sensitivity/processing
  • perceptual skills ( visual, auditory, tactile, and kinesthetic)
  • attending behavior and concentration
  • ability to follow directions/sequencing
  • motivation or self-initiated activity
  • mood or affect
  • self-control
  • coping skills
  • social conduct skills
  • daily living skills
  • academic readiness or academic skills
  • play skills

Instruments
No comprehensive or specific scale for occupational therapist to use assessing child abuse was identified. The following assessments may be useful:
  • Bayley Scales of infant development
  • Brazelton Neonatal Assessment Scale
  • A play scale
  • Child abuse potential inventory

Problems

The problems associated with child abuse can be verified and many. The list of problems should be considered as examples and not as comprehensive list.

Motor
  • Developmental milestones may be delayed, especially gross and fine motor skills.
  • Muscle weakness may be present if nerve or brain damage has occurred.
  • Paralysis may be present if nerve or brain damage has occurred.
  • Contractures may be present if condition has existed for some time.
  • Reduction range of motion may be present, depending on the type of injury.
  • Reflex maturation may be incomplete, with primitive reflexes continuing to be present.

Sensory
  • Sensory loss may have occurred in vision, hearing, touch proprioception, or kinesthesia and less commonly in taste or smell.
  • Body image may fail to develop or an impaired body image may develop.
  • Sensory integrative Dysfunction may be present, including developmental dyspraxia and vestibular- bilateral disorder.
  • Sensory responses may be hypo- or hyperactive.

Cognitive
  • Learning disabilities may be present, including dyslexia, short attention span and hyperkinetic behavior.
  • The child may have poor problem- solving skills.

Intrapersonal
  • The child may have poor self-image and lack of confidence.
  • The child may feel guilty for "causing so much trouble." (note: The child is not the cause but may be made to feel so by repeated statements from one or more adults.)
  • The child may have blunted or flat affect.
  • The child may lack self-control, such as being sensitive and aggressive or having low tolerance for frustration.
  • The child may act helpless or be overly complaint or withdrawn.
  • Role identity within family unit may be ill-defined or fluctuating.

Interpersonal
  • Parent(s) and child may lack coping skills.
  • The child may have delayed development of social interaction and conduct skills.
  • the child may be delayed in acquiring speech or vocabulary.
  • Bonding between parent and child may be inadequate or lacking.
  • The child may lack group interaction skills.
Self-Care
  • The child may be delayed in developing activities of daily living, such as dressing, tying shoes, or eating with a fork.
  • The child may be unable to perform certain ADLs (activities of daily living) if motor skills are involved.

Productivity
  • The child may have developmetal delays in acquiring play skills.
  • the child may use less imagination in play.
  • The child may be unable to organize play activities.
  • The child may show little exploratory behavior in play.

Leisure
The child may have few leisure interests beyond watching television or video.


Treatment/Management
Models of treatment include sensory integration (Ayres), and neurodevelopmental therapy (Bobath).

Motor
  • Promote development of groos and fine motor skills according to developmental level.
  • Increase muscle strength through progressive resistive exercises.
  • Maintain or increase joint range of motion through passive exercises and active involvement in activities.
  • Facilitate integration of primitive reflexes.

Sensory
  • If sensory loss has occurred, facilitate development of remaining senses.
  • Increase body awareness and position in space.
  • Is sensory dysfunction is noted, see section on the specific disorder for treatment suggestions.
  • Modulate hyper- or hyporesponsiveness to stimuli.

Intrapersonal
  • Improve self-image and sense of mastery through use of creative activities ,such as crafts, games, music, dance, or drama.
  • Increase self-control by assisting the child to think of alternative approaches to situations and tasks.
Interpersonal
Provide an opportunity for the child to practice social conduct in a group situation.


Self-Care
  • promote self-feeding skills.
  • Decrease oral motor sensitivity.
  • Increase skills in daily living.

Productivity
  • Teach parents or caregivers the child's level of play skills and how to participate in play activities with the child.
  • Promote development of play skills
  • Assist in promoting academic readiness skills.

Leisure
Encourage exploration of interests and developments of leisure skills.


Precautions
Observe a child for signs of any additional abuse or neglect.


Prognosis and Outcome
  • Parent or caregiver is able to interact with the child without violent or abusive behavior.
  • Parent or caregiver demonstrates knowledge of the child's level of development and adjusts expectations to the child's level of performance.
  • Parent or caregiver is able to manage his or her own life situation and stresses without taking anger or frustration out on the child.
  • Child demonstrates improved developmental profile in motor, sensory, language, and self-care skills
  • Child demonstrates improvement in play skills.

3 comments:

  1. I was born epileptic, but I am now free and cured with Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine. I was seventeen and sitting at my computer when I fell out of my chair. Only thing I remember is waking up with the worse headache I had ever had in my life. I had never taken medication and I hated swallowing pills but I had to start. I switched between all kinds of medication because I didn't take them like I was supposed to. One day I had just finished running errands and was at my sisters house when I fell to the floor again. I woke up with a bad headache and my 2 year old Niece leaning over my leg asking me if I was OK. By then I had just started college and was one the verge of losing my license. My school is an hour away from where I live so I really got set back because I wasn't allowed to drive until I got my seizures under control. I would love to know how others have handles their epilepsy! So My sister friends Emma Told my sister about a herbal Doctor who reside in west Africa(Nigeria) Because Emma is from Africa as well, My sister told me about it then we decided to give a try. My sister contacted him also tell him about my autism too.he assures my sister that his herbal medicine will cure my epilepsy and my autism, I paid for the herbal medicine then he delivered to Charleston Post office I was called to pick it up which i quickly did, I drank it for two weeks as prescribed happily I went for diagnose and find out my Epilepsy and Autism is gone and today making it 9 Months and I'm now free from Autism, Seizure and Epilepsy, I will continue to share Dr Itua Natural Herbal Medicine works. I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone who suffering from,,,AUTISM, EPILEPSY, SEIZURE, COLD SORE, HERPES, HIV/AIDS.Shingles,Genitals Herpes,Dr Itua Contact Information..... Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com.... WhatsApp Number....+2348149277967. Live Happily Again With Dr Itua Herbal Made Medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2010. A precious friend told me about Dr Itua Herbal Center in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Fibromyalgia,a
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease, Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Tach Disease,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes.
    Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. Whatsapp...+2348149277967]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.(measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)
    Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com. even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete

^ Scroll to Top